Search my WHIMS n WISHES!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Mommification - Part II

"The world is full of women blindsided bythe unceasing demands of motherhood, still flabbergasted by how a job can be terrific and tortuous. " - Anna Quindlen

Motherhood...the most wonderful yet difficult of all responsibilities taken up by a woman.....the creation and nurturing of life, the shaping of a personality and the grooming of an individual.

Joy, ecstasy, anticipation, trepidation and panic...the first nine months of the process of creation was a medley of all these emotions and more...(Read here)

But when I first held this tiny scrap of a human, all I initially felt was wonder and awe. And then I fell in love.....forever and ever, never to recover!

And now my blogger friend, Imp's Mom, asks me to jot down five things I love about being a Mom.

In a sea of emotions, when I'm asked to pick five little scoops, what do I pick?

* Becoming a more sensitive and aware human....yes. Motherhood has made me a slightly better person. More aware and sensitive of my surroundings, to the environment, fellow humans in general and more grateful to the Almighty for having given me so much...

* The sensation when I see her face lighting up with joy the moment she spots me in a crowd or after the day in her school!

* When the drama queen that she is, asks me everyday, in her mushiest of voices, "Ma can you take me in your lap and put me to sleep?" ("Ma, tumi ki amaye kole niye ghoom parate paaro?). It's a daily routine, but everyday, my heart melts hearing these words.

*And when I pick her up to put her to sleep, I love the way she wraps herself like a little octopus and while pretending to go to sleep, keeps on with her non-stop chatter. (Of course, daily, the lovey-dovey cootchie cooing ends with a whack on her bums which FINALY and ACTUALLY puts her to sleep!)

*Reliving the little moments of childhood...the joy of playing with friends, the sorrow of being brushed aside or bullied, the angst of a fight, the demands for a her favourite food (which keeps changing) in her lunch box, the playacting where she's the Mom and all her toys are her children ! It's like I'm growing up again, through her , with her....

But Motherhood is always not sugary and sweet, it is not always showering love and indulgences..their are moments of anger and frustrations, tackling unruly behaviour, stubbornness and tantrums, difficult moments and tough decisions, anxious, heart wrenching moments of illness and pain.....

As it has been said ....
"Loving a child doesn't mean giving into all his whims; to love him is to bring out the best in him, to teach him to love what is difficult"

And with this thought, the Mommified me, carries on in the wondrous journey of motherhood...where as she grows,
basking in our love,
moulded by our teachings,
imbibing the influence of her surroundings,
manifesting her inherited genetic designs,

we (SD & I) grow with her....
maturing as persons,
learning the lessons of life,
unlearning bookish sermons and
relearning the world from a different perspective altogether....


And finally, I pass on this tag to five wonderful mothers....to share 5 things they LOVE about being a MOM
Naperville Mom, Sucharita, Roshni, Reflections and Reks

41 comments:

Imp's Mom said...

Beautiful! I cannot describe what I'm feeling right now... Loved your post!

After reading so many posts on this tag, this is the best that I have come across...

SSQuo said...

This was lovely!

I like the bit about the 'drama queen' - don't they say just the cutest things that sound so grown up, especially when they are in diva mode??? :)

Kavi said...

Beautiful ! I can see my mom come through in each of what you have said !

Only thing being i look at it from a different perspective now !

:)

Lovely !

Roshni said...

thanks! you know I'm totally going to mke a mess of this...but thanks for thinking of me!!

Aniket Thakkar said...

That was so very beautiful!

And great timing as well. I became an Uncle yesterday. My sister had a baby girl. Am so very happy! :D :D

Reflections said...

Lovely SGD......I soooo relate to the post....esp the whacking on the bums bit;-D

Thanking U for tagging me!!!!!!!!

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Imp's Mom-Thanks so much!

@SSQuo-Thanks! The grown up words in their lilting baby tones do make a deadly combo!! ;)

@Kavi-Thanks...that's such a compliment! I'm touched...

@Roshni-No no...yours is going to be a double whammy...ha ha ha!! Mommy twice over...

@Aniket-Thanks ! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!
What's it with the Mamas & Maasis ?? The kids adore them so..
For my AD, her Maasi is like her soulmate...incidentally they are 23yrs apart!!!!!

@Reflections-Thanks and welcome...
They need these whacks on and off, dont they? ;))

Mostly Dulcet said...

lovely lovely.. simply loved it :)

i am too young to be a mum right now.. but i am sure i will feel all these emotions after few years. Your post has made me so look forward for it!

Preeti Shenoy said...

You could have been describing my daughter and me!!
Same goes for my son too.
Nice post!
Cheers
preeti

Material Girl said...

Warming and so true, ain't it?

Keep writing (:

B

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Sharmistha,

Thanks a ton for the compliment, and the tag...will take it up as soon as my daughters let me have some free time...:)

Sam said...

Nice!! :) Wonderful actually!!
and well the thing about mamas maasis n really big bros is that they seem to be the guide in the world of mischief (dats how I am :P, was a brat and don't mind sharing a tip or two on that) apart from the fact, probably they come next to parents in terms of love and often a bit more lenient :P

sujata sengupta said...

Great post..loved your header picture..that's so me..the clutter and the toblerone..motherhood is a mixed bag..some days are heaven and a few just endless..in between somewhere we try and do our best!!

Pesto Sauce said...

Beautiful....being a parent is perhaps the best job in the world

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Anusha-Thanks a ton!!! Hey I feel great that my little piece has made you look forward to being a Mom! Believe me....despite the ups & downs, trials and tribulation of motherhood, it's the BEST part of my life seeing my little one grow!!

@Preeti-Welcome to my blog!
Yes...it's an universal story, isnt it! But still the novelty of it all never wears off!

@Newbie-Thanks....and welcome to my blog!

@SS-You're welcome! Waiting to read your take on it!

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Sujata-Welcome to my blog! Yes...motherhood is a mixed bad indeed. We try to do our best, on some day succeed and are elated and some days, things just dont go right....we trip, fall, brush ourselves are march on with a spring in our steps!!

Glad you liked the header....it's me...completely...even the colours. :)

Visited your blog & loved it!

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Pesto Sauce- Thanks a ton...

June Saville said...

Paranthood is a long winding road with many hills and hollows. Enjoy ...
I like your blog header, with chocolate at centre stage!
June in Oz

naperville mom said...

Oh gosh! This is so beautiful, SGD... I can relate to every bit you said, lovely!:)

I'm just petrified to even approach this topic, might screw up a bit...but hey, thanks!

Sharmistha Guha said...

@June-Right you are!
Thanks for stopping by....

@NM-Thanks !! Coming from you, I am indeed flattered!
And waiting for your version ...in verse or prose??

Rajesh said...

Very nice. You have shown both the sides of coin. Being a father myself I understand the emotions expressed.

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Sarmistha, you made the magic of motherhood come alive... i loved it very very much...

ar tomar meyekeo khuuuub mishti laglo :)

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Rajesh & LGL-Thanks!!

Anand said...

Accidently stumbled in here... Nice blog.


Keep writing..

http://anandsathya.blogspot.com

Well thats my page. I love ppl who visit mine.. Try it anytime..


- Anand

Rush said...

u inspire me to be one!!

Sapna Anu B.George said...

Another wonderful read, enjoyed them....

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Anand-Welcome to my blog!And glad you liked it..will surely visit your blog!

@Rush-Hey I'm so touched....thanks! :)

@Sapna-Welcome to my blog! And thanks...

Sumandebray said...

Very nicely composed and what a wonderful realization it really is.
Equally blissful is the dadification process! My 10 months old angel runs on all 4 giving out her joyous cries the moment she hears the door bell ring. reaching me she puts both her hands up in the air..... in one swift movement she is up and stress of 10 hours of grinding at work vanishes!

nsiyer said...

I literally regalled on my fatherhood. I could go years back and hear my son then three shouting from the ground floor to the fourth floor to my wife asking' Paapa there at home?', his first days at school, teaching him, and last year with tears in my eyes sending him to London.

Thanks and extremely well written.

Sharmistha Guha said...

@SumandebrayYes, I'm sure the Daddification process would be as wonderful, eventful!!!! We Moms always have this tendency of putting the dads on the backburners ;)), but the little angels have an inherent leaning towards the dads, dont they!!!

Thanks for 'coming over' and sharing!

@Rush-Thanks so much....I loved your unique concept of blogrolling!

@NSIyer-Parenthood is such a special thing isnt it....I feel like freezing every little milestone of my daughter...
As each fleeting moment passes by, babyhood into toddlerhood and now childhood, I'm saddened a trifle bit... only memories of the precious times remain!
She's growing and growing up sooo fast...
Can understand your tears at letting your son grow, spreading his wings and flying away from the safe cocoon of your shelter.
Thanks for sharing...

Unknown said...

100% honest and 100% true!!

Ketan said...

Hi!

This is my first comment on your blog, and hope you don't mind my honesty!

The first time around, I'd visited the very same post, I didn't think it interesting. Thought, will return some other time to try your other posts, but well when I this time moved on into the post, I really enjoyed it. A really sweet and cute post! And though it might be late, I'll say the most spontaneous thing I felt--congratulations on your motherhood!

You may or may not agree with all my views, but since you're nurturing a to-be-independent human, I'd recommend the following blog to you, in particular, the latter parts of it:

http://ketanpanchal.blogspot.com/2009/03/communalism.html

Take care.

Urmi said...

I liked your blog very much.I have become your 30th follower.Your blog is very nice and colourful and also very impressive.
Beautifully written.Excellent!

pradipwritenow said...

You are a wonderful mom. Many like you do not find time to put their children to sleep. I loved reading yourf blog.

vijay kumar sappatti said...

This is awesome work of words .. what a wonderful post full of emotions for mother.. very good writing .

wishing you good luck.

please read my poems on my blog : www.poemsofvijay.blogspot.com

regards

SSQuo said...

It's been a while! All well?

Reflections said...

Helloooo....nobody home?????

chhandik said...

I liked your blog.Beautiful post.Keep writing.
You are welcome in my blog.

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Sara-Thanks! And thanks for stopping by...

@Ketan-Thanks for stopping by!
Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome....though glad you liked this particular post!
I've visited your blog...you've got an interesting place...

@Babli-Thanks for becoming my follower...and also for your kind words...it does wonders to the morale!!

Sharmistha Guha said...

@PB-Thanks so much...I'm quite an impatient Mom!!

@VKS-Thanks for stopping by and also for your kind words! Will surely visit your blog!

@SSQuo & Reflections-I'm back!!!

@Sanjay-Thanks so much for your words of praise...Your poems are BRILLIANT! Am a follower of your blog!!

Preeti Shenoy said...

Oh yes--i remember this post now! :) Had left a comment too! :)
Thanks u for letting me know
cheers
preeti